Museum of Siberian Archeology and Ethnography
The museum was founded by Professor V.M. Florinsky, the future trustee of the West-Siberian school district and the builder of the Siberian University. The founding date was December 6, 1882. It was the day of the celebration of the 300th anniversary of the accession of Siberia to Russia. To this date, the entrepreneur M.K. Sidorov donated to the museum the first major archaeological collection of Tobolsk antiquities of the artist S.K. Znamensky. It is from the moment of receipt of this collection Florinsky began counting the history of the museum. Now it is the largest university museum in the Asian part of Russia.
Museum collections on archeology, ethnography, history, numismatics, bonistics, phaleristics, and sections of the visual arts and documentary sources at the first stage and until the early 1920s were formed from collections of disbanded museums of Siberia, individual university acquisitions, and also from private donations of different social groups from Siberia and the European part of Russia.
Archaeological collections of the museum, collected from the end of the 19th to the beginning of the 21st centuries. On the territory of Scandinavia, the Black Sea Region, the Ural Region, Western, Middle, and Southern Siberia, the Far East, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia, contain products from the spiritual and everyday life of the ancient and medieval cultures of a vast region. The earliest exhibits belong to the ancient Stone Age. Their age is determined by tens of thousands of years. A mammoth tusk covered with engraved images became a real decoration of the Paleolithic assembly. Such finds are rare and are the pride of the largest museums in the world.
The collection of household and ritual objects is complemented by clothing and traditional jewelry made from bone horn, semi-precious and ornamental stones, glass, and non-ferrous metals. Most of the exhibits are distinguished by artistic merit and sophisticated production techniques.
- +7 (3822) 529-626
- Office 225, 36 Lenin Ave. (Main building), Tomsk, Russia 634050